6 Reasons Why Your Skin Might Be Breaking Out

Hello hello! So, if you follow me on Instagram and saw my post a few days ago I touched on stress and how my skin reacts to it, which is by breaking out. Now, stress can definitely be the reason your skin is breaking out and in turn causing you more stress, but there could be other factors that are causing you to experience an acne flareup…

1. Sanitize Your Phone

If you are experiencing breakouts along your jawline or around your cheeks it could be from your phone! Just think about how many things we touch throughout and day and then how many times we touch our phones. All of that bacteria is being transferred to your phone and then ultimately transferred to your face when you talk on the phone. Grab a Clorox wipe and wipe that phone down! Top to bottom and front to back! If you don’t already have them at your house, grab them the next time you go grocery shopping and wipe down your phone as often as you’d like!

2. Clean Your Brushes

First off, check out my post all about my holy grail makeup brushes if you are in the market for some good brushes. Second, clean those brushes girl! If you know me, you know that I don’t clean my brushes enough, so this tip is more of a “do as I say, not as I do,” kind of thing. It is important to regularly clean your brushes so that there isn’t lingering makeup residue on them, especially if you use those brushes while you were breaking out, because that bacteria can still be on there and cause you to break out more! Yikes! Also, when you have clean makeup brushes, I notice that my makeup application is more seamless and smooth, so it’s really a win, win!

3. Clean Your Pillowcases/Towels

Wash those sheets, pillowcases and towels!! I absolutely love the feeling of sleeping in a bed with freshly cleaned sheets, and cleaning your sheets regularly helps to prevent acne. It is equally important to regularly clean your towels, both body and face towels. At night and in the morning, when we clean our face and then pat our face dry, we are transferring product to our towels, whether that be the oils from our face, makeup, a face mask or face wash. So, clean those pillowcases, sheets, and towels regularly like you would any other laundry and you’ll face and body will thank you!

4. Wash Your Hair

Okay, so again if you know me, you know that I wash my hair about 2 times a week. I was blessed with hair that doesn’t get super oily super quickly, so I can really extend the life of my hair. With that being said, I can usually tell when it is time to wash my hair by the texture I start getting around my hairline and jawline. When my hair is producing oil and then it touches my face, my face tends to react in tiny bumps. When I am going on day 3 or day 4 hair, I typically wear it up, because a.) It can look a little greasy down, and b.) I’m trying to prevent those breakouts!

5. Get Rid of Old Products!

So sometimes you don’t realize that old products are causing you to breakout until you part with them and then your skin clears. I was using an expired hair product for a while and kept experiencing breakouts and I couldn’t figure out why, until I ditched the leave-in hair conditioner and boom! my skin thanked me by going back to normal. With that being said, I like to go through my makeup or hair products once I notice a breakout happening because chances are that those products are the culprit!

6. Stop Touching Your Face!

So this one is pretty obvious. We have bacteria or oils on our hands and then we are constantly touching our faces and picking at pimples and then we wake up with new pimples! AH! Been there, done that. I know it can be so hard to not touch your face or your hair, but try to make a conscious effort to do so and you will be so much happier. I notice that I play with my hair quite often and then I get the oils from my hair on my hand and then rest my hand on my face and I bet you can guess what happens next… so, just try your hardest not to touch your face!

If you experience acne, I hope that you found this helpful and maybe learned a new way to prevent breakouts from happening, OR you learned a reason why your face might be experiencing a breakout!

Catch you all on Wednesday!

16 Comments

1. January 13, 2019 / 11:38 am

These are awesome tips, some of them might sound obvious but then we don’t really think about it. Thanks for sharing!
    xx Ambra

• Kendall
      Author
      January 13, 2019 / 11:45 am

Thanks for reading!! Yeah, especially when we experience breakouts we think it might be our skincare routine or something more extreme when really it might just be as simple as wiping down your phone or cleaning your makeup brushes!

2. January 13, 2019 / 12:38 pm

Great ideas. I have to tell my son about his phone. I know he wipe i off but I don’t think he santizes it.

• Kendall
      Author
      January 13, 2019 / 2:41 pm

I’m glad you liked them!! Yeah I like to use a Clorox wipe and just give it a quick wipe!!

3. January 13, 2019 / 12:59 pm

I love these tips! I always forget to sanitize my phone but that’s a big one. Thanks for sharing

• Kendall
      Author
      January 13, 2019 / 2:41 pm

Thanks for reading!! Yeah they are so simple and can really help prevent breakouts!

4. January 13, 2019 / 1:09 pm

Okay, I LOVE this. These tips are sooo important for people to know about because sometimes we really don’t think about this stuff too often! I’m so glad you wrote this and you know what, I’m literally about to clean my phone screen right now lol!! Wonderful post.❤️❤️❤️

• Kendall
      Author
      January 13, 2019 / 2:43 pm

Thanks for reading, Camille! But yeah these are super simple things to do but I’ve noticed they help me a lot!

5. January 13, 2019 / 6:30 pm

These are great tips! I NEVER even considered wiping own my phone but now that you mentioned it, it absolutely makes sense!!

• Kendall
      Author
      January 13, 2019 / 8:05 pm

Thanks, Jackie!! I know! When I stop and think about all the places that my phone has been it grosses me out haha! Especially because then I put that on my face!

6. January 13, 2019 / 7:47 pm

Awesome reminders about causes that we don’t always think about! Thanks for sharing!

• Kendall
      Author
      January 13, 2019 / 8:07 pm

Thanks for reading, McKenna! Sometimes we think our acne comes from bigger issues when really there can be simple solutions!

7. January 13, 2019 / 8:03 pm

Everything in this post is so true, the hardest one for me is touching my face, It’s become such a habit I barely realize that even do it anymore. Thank you for sharing this, because I don’t think a lot people understand how much damage they’re doing to their skin.

• Kendall
      Author
      January 13, 2019 / 8:08 pm

I know, me too! My big problem is that I’m constantly touching/playing with my hair and then the oils from my hair get on my face because then I touch or pick at my face. It’s a vicious cycle haha. Thanks for reading!

8. January 23, 2019 / 4:16 pm

These are good tips! I struggle with acne, my skin is super sensitive and I hate it!! I don’t want to wear makeup so it can breathe and heal faster but then it’s also embarrassing to go out in public🤦🏻‍♀️ My biggest struggle is not touching my face, I ALWAYS lean on my hands!😂 I’ll definitely try some of these other tips though xx

• Kendall
      Author
      January 23, 2019 / 9:29 pm

I have really sensitive skin also!! If I touch my skin it’ll get red and splotchy! I totally understand about wanting to let your skin breathe! Luckily I’m not working all the time so I have several days without makeup on a week, but if I’m wearing a lot I like to do a face mask to try and help my skin out. Thanks for reading!!